Monday 26 August 2013

FASHION | Designer in Focus: Claire Gaudion






Luxury accessories designer, Claire Gaudion is a creator of striking geometric and illustrated scarves as well as notebooks, cards and rural home accessories.

Having launched her eponymous label in 2012, her first year has seen the Guernsey born designer selling on an international level and named Best New Fashion Product at Top Drawer 2013.

The abstract patterns of circles, zig zags and striped are fitting with SS13’s sixties revival as are the deliciously vivid colours.

As well as the signature shapely patterns, Claire’s AW13 collection also draws on a sibling collaboration with brother and artist Tim Gaudion in the form of beautiful painted scarves illustrating the pictorial scenery of Guernsey’s coastline.
With an expanding collection for SS14, titled ‘Land, Island and Sea’, Gaudion continues her exploration of the ever-changing Guernsey coastline, a dominant inspiration throughout her work. Sorbet colours clash and compliment within the bold prints and designs scale from subtle to statement.

Her products are made in Britain and the scarves, headscarves, neckerchiefs and classic squares are crafted out of from luxury silks, silk wool and silk modal blends.

Fashion Prive caught up with Claire to find out more..

Where do you find inspiration for your designs?

My home island of Guernsey is my inspiration. I am drawn to the colours, patterns and textures, in Guernsey’s dramatic coastline of granite reefs, sandy beaches, fishing bays and rocky coves. My design development work is usually a mix of hand-weaving and digital experimentation to achieve the layers of form and colour, and a sense of movement, in my designs.

How did you get into accessories design?

I launched my accessories label last year but, since graduating from the London College of Fashion, I first worked for several years in London’s fashion industry in design and product development. This gave me a good foundation on which to build my own label.

What are you currently working on?
                                           
In August, I will be launching my Autumn Winter collection titled ‘Geometric Seascapes’ which is a striking and expressive mix of patterned printed scarves. It features zigzags and stripes weaving together in green, red and yellow tones speaking of the tides in the Gouliot caves of Sark. Abstract geometric layered-coloured prints tell stories of the island’s changeable seas at Les Tielles, and the colours of the dramatic and beautiful cliffs at Icart. The collection also includes my classic designs, Albecq, Rocquaine, Vazon, Rousse, and Oyster Point, as silk squares and large silk wool scarves.

At the moment, I am also working on marketing my SS14 collection to buyers. I will be exhibiting at Top Drawer, London again in September. I have been invited to show with Spotted Plus, curated by Charlotte Abrahams. This gives me the opportunity to show my collections to an international audience, within a featured arena of hand-picked new design talent. I am also working with an agent in Paris to grow my business internationally. Plus, I am always thinking ahead, and already have ideas for next AW designs which I will start work on as soon as I can.

What are your most popular pieces?

This summer’s favourite has been ‘Albecq’ with Vazon and Oyster Point following closely. But all of my designs seem to be popular – the mix of colours makes them very wearable and offers choice to suit individual outfits and preferences. This also makes them a perfect gift.

What has been your career highlight so far?

It has been a fantastic year since I began my label, with many highlights! I am selling my collections internationally and am stocked in independent fashion boutiques, as well as online fashion stores and art centres, including the Barbican and Guernsey fashion boutique, Gwyneth and Grey, among others which can all be found on my website, www.clairegaudion.com.

How did it feel to win the Best New Fashion Product Award at Top Drawer 2013?

This was a great surprise, and honour. I had been invited to exhibit in the ‘Spotted’ arena at Top Drawer which was a great launch-pad for my first collection and to win ‘Best New Fashion Product’ was fantastic. It drew a lot of attention to my new accessories label and generated additional press for my scarves.

What’s in the pipeline for you and your brand?

To continue! It has been a great first year for CLAIRE GAUDION, with some great new stockists and some great press coverage including The Times, Elle Decoration, Eurowoman DK and Neverunderdressed.com. Since launching my accessories label last year, I have already added new scarf ranges and new fabrics. Also, my notebooks & greeting cards collections continue to grow. There are some other new things on the horizon but, as a new label, I want to focus on my accessories collections and create a really strong brand identity. I will continue to work hard at growing my business. 


Thanks for talking to Fashion Prive Claire and we look forward to seeing more of you in the future.


What do you think of Claire Gaudion’s designs? Which is your favourite piece?#

http://blog.fprive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/claire-gaudion-accssories-designer.jpg

http://blog.fprive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/claire-gaudion-luxury-notebook.jpg 
http://blog.fprive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/scarves.jpg 

http://blog.fprive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/claire-gaudion-scarves-colourful.jpg
 

No comments:

Post a Comment